The churches of Chiloé are wooden temples built in the archipelago of Chiloé, in the south of Chile, according to a traditional scheme that is considered to belong to a school of architecture. The oldest buildings still standing date from the mid-18th century and the most recent from the first third of the 20th century.
Of these, a group of sixteen is considered a National Historical Monument of Chile and, since 2000, a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
San Antonio de Vilupulli Church
Vilupilli, in Mapudugún, means the hill of the snake.
According to some of the accounts compiled, the chapel currently located in the sector would date from the early 19th century. It is located in the town of San Antonio de Vilupulli, north of Chonchi.
Our Lady of Sorrows Church in Dalcahue
This church is one of the oldest and largest temples in Chiloé.
The current temple was started in late 1893. The church is located in front of the main square of the commune of Dalcahue.
San Juan Bautista Church
The San Juan Bautista Church is located in the town of San Juan and was built approximately in 1887.
Nuestra Señora del Patrocinio Church in Tenaun
This church is located in the town of Tenaún, which in Huilliche means three mountains. It was built in 1845.
St. James Apostle Church in Detif
The present temple was built at the beginning of the 19th century in the centre of the coastal town of Detif on the island of Lemuy
Santa María de Rilán Church
The Santa María de Rilán Church is estimated to have been built in the mid-19th century. It is located in the town of Rilán, in the commune of Castro.
San Francisco de Castro Church
The Church of San Francisco is located in front of the square of the commune of Castro. Construction began in 1910.
San Antonio de Colo Church
The San Antonio de Colo Church is located in the town of Colo, which belongs to the municipality of Quemchi. The current construction of this temple dates from the end of the 19th century.
Our Lady of the Rosary Church
The Church Nuestra Señora del Rosario is located in the Plaza de Armas of the Chonchi commune, in the center. The construction of this temple dates from 1893.
Nativity of Mary Church of Ichuac
This temple is located at the western end of the island of Lemuy. Its construction dates from 1880 approximately.
Jesus of Nazareth Church in Aldachildo
The Jesus of Nazareth Church of Aldachildo is located in the town of Aldachildo, on the island of Lemuy. It is believed to have been built in 1910.
Nuestra Señora del Rosario Church in Chelín
This temple is located on the island of Chelín, to the east of Castro. The construction of the present church dates from 1888.
Nuestra Señora de Gracia Church in Nercón
The temple of Nuestra Señora de Gracia de Nercón is located in the town of Nercón, whose name in Huilliche means "between hills". Its construction dates from 1890 approximately.
Nuestra Señora de Gracia Church in Villa Quinchao
This temple is located in the southern sector of the island of Quinchao. Its construction dates back to the 18th century and it is currently the largest church in the Chiloé Archipelago.
Santa María de Loreto de Achao Church
The Santa María de Loreto de Achao Church is located in front of the square in the town of Achao. It is one of the oldest churches in Chile, as it is known that its construction began in 1730.
Jesus of Nazareth Church in Caguach
The Jesus of Nazareth Church in Caguach is located on the island of Caguach in the commune of Quinchao. The new temple, which exists today, was built during 1919. Related Articles